We all know that sleep is the best time to rest and repair from the exhausting hustle of life, but did you know it is also a fabulous time to work on your posture?
Let’s use all these hours we spend sleeping (or at least trying to sleep) to our advantage and get our posture working for us by the time we hit snooze for the 10th time.
1. | Pillows have got your back.
No matter whether your a back, stomach, or side sleeper, adding pillows can help provide support. Basically, you want to add a pillow anywhere there's a space between your body and the mattress
- Stomach sleeper: Mmkay, so tbh, this is worst position for your back and posture but if you’re gonna do it place a flat pillow under your stomach to provide support. Choose a flat pillow or no pillow for your head.
- Back sleepers: Place a small pillow behind your knees, and choose a supportive pillow for your head.
- Side sleepers: Place a pillow between your knees and pull them up towards your chest. Pick a pillow for your head that keeps your spine straight, or use a full body pillow.
2. | One, Singular Sensation.
Avoid turning at your waist while you are in bed. Instead, keep your back straight and your stomach muscles tight, and turn your whole body when you want to reposition yourself.
3. | Invest In Your Rest!
It is so, so important to invest in your self care, so do yourself a favour and replace your mattress every decade or so. If that's not in the cards for you financially (we know mattresses are NOT cheap) but your mattress isn't providing the support you need try adding a board between the box springs and mattress, which should keep it from sagging.
In terms of shopping for a new mattress, we know that can be quite a daunting task. So many choices! How do you know which one will be the right one for you and your needs?
A lot of mattress companies let you try out a mattress for up to 100 nights, so take advantage of that policy. Take them for test drives! It'll be worth it in the long run.
The power of a good nights sleep is not to be underestimated.